Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 82: Bang, Zoom, to the Moon

If you weren't aware, there are a lot of festivals in Japan. I kid you not, there are festivals every day now. If you told me I was going to miss a festival for something or other, I'd treat it with the same urgency as missing breakfast. With that being said, there are some pretty big ones that are well worth the effort to go see. A few weeks ago, I braved the crowds to see the Tenjin Matsuri in Osaka.

Apologies in advance for the picture quality; my camera long ago decided everything that happened at twilight was part of some sort of conspiracy, so it took the liberty of blurring all my pictures.


There are a LOT of people here. Streets are packed into the distance.

Barges line the river, each with packed with lights and other displays.

This barge never moved the whole time I was there.

Perhaps those lanterns are, in fact, anti-pirate defense missiles.


In the upper left corner, those words just lit up.


Folks line this bridge to catch a glimpse of the fireworks, as well as watch the boats pass.

Most boats had a small crowd on board as well.


And what would a festival be without some food?





Yay, fireworks!






Beware the boat-duck

It knows no mercy

It stares into your soul

Some brave men and women sacrificing their very lives to seal away the boat-duck for another day.

I also got some nice videos of the fireworks, and some of the boats too.


 




No comments:

Post a Comment