Monday, May 21, 2012

Nearly sixteen hours later, and I'm finally surrounded by ninjas

Protip: When flying for about 13 hours, a flight with free movies is the best thing in the world.

Protip the second: When flying for about 13 hours, the novelty of a new jet wears off at around hour two.

The flight itself was maddening. I think a surefire way to drive me insane would be to lock me up in a box with barely any legroom, with minimal mental stimulation. The movie selection wasn't bad, though it took me forever to figure out where the audio plug was. It's just that, with the small screens, it's hard to focus on the movie and let it take you away from the cramped, uncomfortable flight. If only I'd discovered the in-flight Sudoku at any other time than hour 12, then it'd be a different story. But seeing how my other options were likely longer and with less entertainment, I don't think I can really complain. It got me here safely, and in a respectable amount of time for traveling to the other side of the globe. Now if only that hole to China would fall through.

Customs and Immigration were hassle-free, and I think I slept through my entire flight to Osaka. I met up with one of the students here, and we both took a taxi over to the house where I'll be staying. I don't remember much of last night, other than getting settled, because I promptly collapsed on my bed the first chance I got. A successful first day, if I do say so myself.

1 comment: